Common Neck Injuries After a Crash – How to Get Compensation
If you have suffered a neck injury after a car accident, you may be able to get compensation for your pain and suffering, medical bills and other expenses. Neck injuries are one of the most common injuries sustained in car accidents. A Michigan Auto Law personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation and money damages you deserve under the law.
In this guide, we’ll walk through the different types of neck injuries that can occur after a crash, what types of compensation are available for those kinds of injuries, and how we can help you recover from your own accident.
What are the most common neck injuries after a crash?
- Spinal cord injuries are the most common neck injury after a crash.
- Herniated discs occur when one of your vertebrae’s discs ruptures or bulges out through its outer covering (the annulus). This can cause intense pain and inflammation in your neck, which may last for weeks or months.
- Neck fractures are breaks in one or more of your vertebrae bones that can result from blunt force trauma to the head and neck area during an accident.
- Sprains and strains.
Any of these serious neck injuries can be caused by the sudden acceleration/deceleration forces that a crash exerts on different parts of your body. This is frequently the case in rear-end accidents.
How do I sue for neck injuries after a crash?
Below is an overview of the most important things to know about suing for neck injuries after a crash.
- Contact an attorney immediately. You should not wait until your first appointment with the doctor or chiropractor to get legal help; doing so could cost you time and money later in the process.
- Know what types of damages are available under personal injury law in your state or province (if applicable). There are three main types: economic damages, non-economic damages (such as pain and suffering), and punitive damages (which punish bad behavior by drivers). Not all states allow crash victims to recover punitive damages.
What should I look for in a lawyer?
When you are looking for a lawyer, it is important to hire an attorney who specializes – rather than dabbles – in auto accident litigation. You will also want to make sure that the attorney has won cases like yours and can get you the best settlement possible. Ask about his or her notable verdicts and settlements. Finally, make sure that they will work hard on your behalf so that you can get the compensation that is rightfully yours.
What compensation can I get for neck injuries?
- You can get compensation for your pain and suffering.
- You can get compensation for lost wages if you are unable to work because of your injury.
- You can get compensation (or reimbursement) from your medical bills.
How much compensation can I get for neck injuries after a crash?
There are a number of factors that will affect the amount of compensation you receive for your neck injury. The most obvious one is the severity of your injury, but there are other things to consider as well. Courts will look at your current and future needs for medical care. They will consider how much you have lost wages in the past and how much you may lose in the future if you can’t work because of your injuries. And courts will consider whether the other driver’s negligence and, thus, fault for causing the accident is clearly established by the evidence.
If you suffered injuries to your neck in a car crash and you believe the other driver may be at fault, contact a lawyer right away so he or she can help guide you through this process to recovering compensation and money damages.